Karate Basics - Fundamental Concepts and Foundations of Wado
The following are the fundamental concepts & foundations of Wado-ryu Karate-do.
- Inasu - Block and counter in same motion.
- Irimi - Entering techniques.
- Ma Ai - Distancing.
- Nagasu - Side shifting to avoid an attack.
- Noru - Riding, absorption and supression of the attack whilst countering.
- Nage Waza - Throwing techniques from Shindo Yoshin-ryu Jujitsu.
- Ni (Wa) Sentenashi - No first strike.
- Go No Sen - Block then counter after attack.
- Sen No Sen - Block and counter at the same time after attack.
- Sen Sen No Sen - Counter before the opponent can initiate his attack.
- Yasume - Being relaxed at all times, except for the instant prior to delivering a technique.
- Tai Sabaki - Body shifting/moving.
- Zanshin - Constant awareness of your surroundings.
- Mudana no Chikara - Do not use unnecessary strength and power.
- Mudana no Iroki - Do not use unnecessary movement.
- Mudana no Waza - Do not use unnecessary technique.
- Karate ni (wa) sentenashi - Never attack first, mentally or physically. If you attack never be angry if you are angry never attack.
- Karate-do wa rei ni hajimara, rei ni owaru koto wo wasuruna - Karate begins and ends with courtesy.