Guest Columnists - The Kata
The Kata - Dave Hazard, 7th Dan
- First there is the technique, the form, the movement, the dance.
- Then there is the application, the meaning, the understanding, which gives purpose to the movement and dance.
- Add the spirit, the feeling and the soul and you give the whole thing power and life.
- To perform Kata without any of these attitudes, technique, application and feeling is not enough.
- The dance alone may look quite beautiful but means nothing.
- To understand the purpose without the dance "technique" is just controlled aggression.
- The technique and purpose together will look good - but is not all.
- Any athlete can obtain these attributes in sport.
- But add spirit and the feeling , the performers natural timing and breathing - so important to fluency of movement - and the Kata rises above athletics or sport and into the realms of the martial arts.
Dave Hazard, 7th Dan.